Print out the policy in English and Española Click Here
Outstanding attendance and attitude result in higher achievement, and your student’s education is funded by Average Daily Attendance (ADA)-we only receive money from the state if your child is on campus and in class. It is the responsibility of the parent and student to review attendance data, available on Infinite Campus and communicate any errors to the teacher within three days. Also, it is essential to have an email on file with the school. Please contact our Registrar immediately at 429-3909 ext. 136 to make sure we have the correct one on file. In addition, contact her if it changes at any time throughout the year.
- The direct Attendance Office phone number is 429-3907. A parent/guardian may leave a message on our voicemail 24 hours a day.For absences over 3 days, may request make-up assignments from their teachers through the Counseling Office at 429-3909 ext. 132.
- A parent/guardian must notify the Soquel High School Attendance Office to excuse an absence. A maximum of three school days is allowed to clear an absence.
- Extended absences - please review Legally Excused Absences or go to Infinite Campus.
- After a student has accumulated 14 absences due to illness and/or medical appointments in one school year, any further absences due to illness will require verification by a medical practitioner or assessment by our Health Clerk.
- The school’s computerized dialer will make daily calls to notify your student’s unexcused absence or tardies. We are pleased to provide this service as a courtesy; however, the most reliable way to check absences and tardies is through the daily use of Infinite Campus.
Early Dismissal from Campus
- For ANY reason, it is imperative that each student that leaves campus; sign out with the Attendance Office first BEFORE leaving. Should there be any kind of emergency or disaster, the school needs to account for every student. Or, a parent must make a request for a student to be dismissed in person. If a student leaves school without a pass, the absence is unexcused, and it will not be excused after the fact based on a telephone call, voice message or e-mail.
- Students are not to leave campus during Brunch.
- Students may leave campus at Lunch, but must be back in time for their next class. If a student does not return for period A4/B7 for any reason, she/he must receive prior approval with a note or a in-person request by the parent. Missing or tardy to a class after lunch due to automobile problems or other issues will not be excused.
- Our computerized dialer will call home nightly each time a student is marked absent or tardy from any class if the parent has not already excused the absence. The parent or student will then need to access Infinite Campus to find the period(s) missed. If you are not receiving these calls, please contact our Registrar immediately at 429-3909 ext. 136 to verify your phone number.
- A 1st Letter of Notification will be mailed home to students without a valid excuse for increments of three period absences of more than 30-minutes in any one period during the school day. Students who receive a Letter of Notification after the first three truancies will be assigned Saturday School on specified weekends from 8:30 A.M. until 12:30 P.M. Please review Saturday School Rules 13-14.
- A 2nd letter will be sent home after a total of six period truancies. Saturday School is assigned, and one or more of the following may occur after the second truancy letter:
- Parent/Student Attendance Notification will be completed during an attendance meeting.
- Exclusion from extracurricular activities including dances and sports team participation which may be reinstated after the parent conference.
- Parents to attend school with student for one day.
- Work Permits revoked/delayed. This privilege is awarded upon the condition that students have passing grades, good attendance and no discipline issues.
- Revoke Parking Permit.
- A 3rd letter will be sent home after a total of nine period truancies. Saturday School is assigned. The student will also be referred to the Student Attendance Review Board (SARB), which may result in a transfer to an alternative educational setting or other conditions set by the SARB Panel to improve attendance.
- For each additional unexcused absence after the 3rd letter the student will be assigned a Saturday School.
Tardies: Being punctual is a life skill, and it reflects respect for the time of others.
- Every three unexcused tardies will be considered the equivalent of one unexcused absence and used accordingly in computation of Saturday School assignments. After the 12th period unexcused tardy, the student will be required to attend a Saturday School session. Upon the 15th tardy the student will attend a Saturday School session (and be ineligible for dances and sports until a parent/student conference is held). For every increment of three tardies after the 12th (e.g. the 15th, 18th, 21st and so on), the student will attend a Saturday School session and become ineligible for dances and sports.
- Teachers may implement a tardy policy specific to their classrooms in addition to the school-wide tardy policy.
(Education Code Section 48205)
In accordance with the State of California Education Code, Santa Cruz City Schools will only accept illness, medical appointments, court appearances, funerals or religious observances as excused absences. (Absences for vacations or other parent-approved reasons will not be considered excused and are, therefore, subject to truancy laws). The intention is to follow the Education Code and to encourage parents to send their children to school on school days and to plan trips during non-school days.
A student may be excused legally from school when the absence is due to:
- Personal illness or injury.
- Quarantine under the direction of a County or City Health Officer.
- Medical, dental, optometric, or chiropractic services rendered.
- Attendance at funeral services for a member of the immediate family.
- Jury duty in the manner provided by law.
- Pupil is custodial parent of a child who is ill or has a medical appointment during school.
- Exclusion for failure to present evidence of immunization.
- Exclusion from school because student is either the carrier of a contagious disease or not immunized for a contagious disease.
- Pupils in grades 7-12 who leave school (with prior approval of the Principal or his/her designee) to obtain confidential medical services. The pupil is to return a copy of the medical professional’s appointment-verification form.
Upon written request of the parent/guardian and prior approval of the Principal or his/her designee and pursuant to Board policy, a student’s absence may be excused. Reasons include, but are not limited to:
- Appearance in court.
- Observation of a religious holiday or ceremony (of his/her religion).
- Attendance at religious retreats not to exceed four (4) hours per semester.
- Employment interview or conference.
- Attendance at funeral services for someone not a member of the immediate family.
- Family emergencies.
- Appearance at SARB or SART.
Note: All other excuses will be considered unexcused.
Please review the Early Dismissal Policy.